Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thing # 18

I tried both Facebook and MySpace and I liked the way MySpace could be personalized. I thought Facebook was too impersonal. I feel it is aimed more at older people and professionals than students. I know that social networking is very popular with students right now and I do think it is a good way for people to keep in touch once they have graduated or moved on from a school but I do not think it would be appropriate for use within a formal classroom setting. I know users have the ability to choose who can be their friends and who cannot be their friends, but I think these particular sites are just too open to be used in a classroom. Perhaps if a school had their own private networking site that could only be used by students and teachers, it could be used for students in different classes to collaborate with each other on projects.

No comments: